Sunday, October 6, 2013

Diet is a Weight Thing, Exercise is a Shape Thing!

Diet changes your weight. Exercise changes your shape.
I hear people say, If I could lose this or that they feel like they would look different. But it just isn't true. To be toned you have to exercise, to change the way your waist looks you have to exercise, to change the way your butt looks you have to exercise. Losing weight is not always the answer. I am bottom heavy, it runs in my family there is very little I can do about it, except work out. I have to do squats and leg lifts to shape my bottom half. Cutting calories and dieting will not change how I gain weight in this area. So what is it that you really want? Do you want your teachers arms to disappear? Eating a Twinkie instead of a salad will not change it. Exercise will!!

A word about your BMI.
You should only use BMI as a guide. I think that BMI is not a cure all. It is used as a guide in most cases. Nothing in the BMI calculator accounts for body type, or body composition. My BMI says I am borderline too skinny and this is not the case. George Clooney is technically obese and Brad Pitt is over weight. Looking at them they look healthy. Keep in mind muscle weighs more than fat and I find shorter/taller people tend to have a harder time with being in range for this measurement.

Be realistic and work with specific measurements.
Waist circumference is the best indicator of obesity. Waist is also where most visceral fat collects. Visceral fat is the strongest indicator of cardiovascular disease among other things. So watch your belly fat. Eating better is great but doing cardio is really helpful when you are trying to drop excess weight in this area also. So, as Mr. T would say, "Do work son!"

Here is a link to go to find your BMI. http://www.webmd.com/diet/calc-bmi-plus
I like this one because it has a few more fields which are more specific to you and to your waist hip ratio.

XOXO
-Ari

Find me on http://theskinnychic.me and on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/theskinnychic.me

No comments:

Post a Comment