Sunday, September 22, 2013

Eat Well, Feel Well

Lately, I have heard a lot of excuses on why someone can't eat right. I call them excuses because as I have established before, we can do what ever makes us happy. Excuses are like... Well you know the saying and everyone has one. The people who I have met who take my health advice are the people who have a goal in mind and really they will do what ever it takes. So I am going to break it down as simply as I can.

Here are seven of my healthy habits for eating well.

THE HEALTHY SEVEN

1. There is no such thing as a diet. A diet is what you eat not what you do. Diets fail because they focus on restriction. If someone says "No", then you say "I will". Typical human nature. Just forget about dieting it doesn't work.

2. Portion control is key. Our society is all about a great value. The more I food I get for the money is a good "Value". Every restaurant works with this principal, hence the reason they all have value menus. They give you more for your money. The portions are huge and we tend to eat what is put in front of us, because that is what our parents told us. Rule of thumb (or fist) with sweets and meats is fist size and no more. Simple carbs (chips, crackers, past) no more than a handful. Focus more on veggies and fruits. Eat those first.

3. Don't skip breakfast. I used to be the worst about skipping breakfast. I just felt sick if I ate in the morning. So I started with my kale shake. I used to drink coffee in the morning so I thought this was a good compromise. It worked. It kicked my metabolism up and I had more energy. Try one carb and one protein, low in sugar  so you don't have a mid morning crash.

4. Drink water. You need to drink half of your body weight in water each day or no less than 64 oz. Water is essential for digestion and muscle function. It helps clear out wastes and makes your skin look better. Plus sometimes your body says, "I am hungry." When really it is just thirsty. So keeping hydrated will help with cravings and un-needed snacking.

5. Eat six small meals per day. The smaller portions and meals spread out through out the day helps your body do what it is supposed to, use it for energy. If you are constantly eating every 2-3 hours your body knows that there is food around. So it tells your brain to burn the calories all the time. So your body turns into an efficient machine.

6. Practice the 80/20 rule. If your day and week consists of 80-90 percent good food. (fruits and veggies with lean proteins and whole grains) Than 10-20 percent can be other stuff. (simple carbs and sweets) Your body will naturally crave what it is used to eating. I prefer to do this weekly. Have one cheat meal or two with one or two desserts. I still can have what I want but it is only what I really want and in moderation.

7. Keep a food journal. This has really opened my eyes to what it is that I am lacking in my daily diet. So that way I can make small changes to try and get the doctor recommended nutrients. Another thing I noticed about keeping a food journal is that I have problem times. Like late afternoon I want to eat carbs. So I have to eat a few more with my planned meals so that I don't pig out. Plus I realized I wasn't drinking enough water earlier in the day. So I had to change it up a little. I have all of my clients do this prior to starting my program. It really helps with identifying food costs as well as problem areas and food triggers for them.

I hope these tips help. If you are interested in a weightless program or have lost weight and are trying to keep it off visit my website http://theskinnychic.me and leave your information. We can chat about how I can maximize and get you to your health goals.

-Ari


Visit me at http://theskinnychic.me
Find me on Facebook  https://www.facebook.com/theskinnychic.me

No comments:

Post a Comment