Thursday, September 5, 2013

What is your deepest fear?



A friend once told me fear stands for f (four letter word you know) everything and run. The dictionary says it is to be afraid of something that is likely to be dangerous.

I remember back to being a child and thinking about being a college cheerleader on one of those ESPN broadcasts, being a partner stunt champion.  I went to collegiate competition in Las Vegas but did not enter into the partner stunting portion. I wasn't that good, or so I thought. Then, when I was 28 years old I got back into contact with a cheer friend of mine. We started talking about the old days and he asked me why I didn't keep going?

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."- Franklin D. Roosevelt

I honestly thought I didn't know. In my mind, it made sense to keep going. I  really wanted to finish my degree and have school paid for. I am not kidding, I lived and breathed it. I loved to cheer. It was my passion. Then he said to me"...You know you could have gone to any University and gotten a full scholarship, don't you? You were that good." I almost cried. I had no idea that anyone ever thought I was that great! I let one thing hold me back. Fear.

"If you want something you've never had you have to be willing to do something you've never done,"
-Thomas Jefferson

I was scared of success. I was scared of what other people would think. I let the fear of what other people were going to think of me hold me back. Really it doesn't matter what anyone thinks about my efforts only about how I feel about myself. Before I make a decision I ask myself if this decision will better me and does it stay true to my values? I still get scared sometimes. But now I think through things and get over it. I think to myself, "what is the worst that could happen?" Go through that process  and then I take action. The first step is always the hardest. Most of the time I found that my fear was just a reaction to a perceived problem and the problem is no where to be found. If there were things that I never did out of fear, I would have missed out on some truly great things in my life.

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." -Neale Donald Walsch

 I take daily action by moving out of my comfort zone and into a place of confidence. I use this mantra. "You can do it!" I have told myself this plenty of times. It's what I told my self before I hit my tumbling pass that landed me on the Varsity team as a Junior in High school. It's what I told myself when I held my daughter in my arms for the first time. I said it to myself when I started my new company. It's what I tell my kids, everyday so they believe that they are capable people, able to do anything worth  something in their lives. It is what I am telling you right now my dear reader, "You can do it!"

 You may have heard this quote by Marianne Williamson. (some people say it is Nelson Mandela, either way I love it.) It is powerful, true and inspiring.  I almost cried when I heard it on the movie Coach Carter. (Don't laugh, or we aren't friends:))

"Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually,who are you not to be? You are a child of god.
Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people will not feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do.We were born to make manifest the glory of god that is within us. It's not just in some of us it's in everyone.  And as we let our light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our fear, our presence automatically liberates others."-Marianne Williamson

These are words to live by. Think of one goal (or a few) in your life that is totally worth having. I challenge you to take action, then get over your fear and make a move. Shine your light! What's the worst that could happen? Happiness?

-Ari
Visit me at theskinnychic.me

No comments:

Post a Comment